I don’t simply mean when getting healthy goes a little wrong due to missing a workout or two, or even having a cheat meal or three… I’m talking about years going by and your body having to accommodate BIG TIME.
In most cases these accommodations look something like a few (okay, maybe several) pounds gained, some sag here or there, and totally out of breath from chasing a toddler.
That is me. Right now. In this season of my life.
I’m almost 35 years old and you wouldn’t necessarily be able to tell that I was a competitive gymnast who danced, swam, ran track, or was a cheerleader.
Nope. Nada. Zilch.
But you know what? That’s okay! Because I tried working out the other day and it reminded me of how serious I should probably get about making sure I’m healthy. Like, purposefully scheduling the time to do! When I’m healthy, it means a healthy family. Right?
So, I’m not going to keep talking about the trip down unhealthy lane. The purpose of this post is to air my dirty laundry, put it in the washer, and clean it. Perhaps you’re there too. Good, because we’re going to need each other on this journey to getting healthy right.
I like Googling how-to’s and what-to’s, even when-to’s, but they do no good if we’re not going to implement them. So, here’s the deal. I have gathered some things that will help us get healthy. They seem to be easy with just enough challenge to make you question your life, but we need that right? Our husband’s need a healthy wife, and our kids need a healthy mom. Not to mention, we need to be healthy for ourselves too!
Let’s Get Physical
Confession: I am not a gym person, nor will I force myself to be. But that’s no excuse. Thanks to YouTube and the Smart TV, we can now do just about any workout from the comfort of our own homes. So here’s a list of YouTube videos I plan to
watch use to get fit:
- Workout for Busy Moms: okay so she had me at first sight because her video is LESS THAN 8 minutes AND she throws in affirmations to help with self-sabotaging beliefs!
- Mom’s Workout Push: the fact that she DID NOT stage her videos and her kiddos are all over the place on her tells me that I can do this… because that will be me. A 1 year old hanging onto my leg, my 2 year old rolling around under me, and the 4 year old trying to do it too sounds about right. (Kuddos to you mama)
- Kids Workout 1 Beginners: yeah, I took it there, but this is the guy I was talking about in this video. I have yet to make it all the way through one of his workouts (dang it Moe!), but I’m gonna keep trying!
- Dance Yourself to Weight Loss with African Dance: because who doesn’t need to get in touch with their African side? LOL! No, but really, this is pretty cool!
That list should keep us nice and mobile. Now that we’re getting our bodies moving, we need to consider what we’re putting in them.
What’s Going In?
Another confession: I do not like to cook. Now that I got that out, I need to learn to love it… at least for the sake of being healthy. One thing I do have an up on is clean eating. There is such a BIG DIFFERENCE between real clean eating and not. My family and I just so happen to eat foods that are considered clean according to Leviticus 11, so while we are on a head start, I still need help with recipes.
I could care less if its Keto, Whole 30, Not-Your-Mamas-Cooking, or whatever. The point is I want healthy. And simple. And something my family will eat with a smile.
I found some [more YouTube videos] that are budget and time friendly. (Don’t forget to share you recipe ideas too).
- 5 Quick & Cheap Healthy Meals: visual directions + using the same ingredients in several recipes = yes!
- Roasted Vegetables the Easy Way: can’t wrong with these, especially as a side or tossed with pasta to make a complete meal (when I don’t feel like cooking meat).
- 8 Family Dinner Recipes: just yes. Easy enough for me to make necessary substitutions without changing the recipe too drastically! P.S. skip the pork belly (yuck)!
- Healthy Chicken Recipes: catchy music, but even better (and simple) recipes.
- 8 Healthy Snacks: from loaded apple bites to frozen fruit cups… I can get down with these.
This should be enough to get us on a healthy eating road, right? Now that we’ve tackled the physical and inward parts, there is still some work to be done mentally. I am so quick to say that I want to get healthy, but if I really wanted to, I would’ve done something about it a long time ago.
The Power of Thoughts
At this point it’s about my thought process. When I look in the mirror, I’m not always happy with what I see, but I become comfortable until I look in the mirror again. This isn’t self-hate and it’s not depression. It’s taking responsibility for how I want to look and feel.
Instead of diverting to the affirmations that have me chanting things like, “I am strong and healthy” when obviously I’m not… I’d rather use Scriptural affirmations that have weight to the words:
- “Do you not know that your body is the Dwelling Place of the Set-apart Spirit who is in you, which you have from Elohim, and you are not your own?” – 1 Corinthians 6:19
- “Whatever you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the esteem of Elohim.” – 1 Corinthians 10:31
- “Bodily exercise is profitable for a little.” – 1 Timothy 4:8a
- “I give thanks to You, for I am awesomely and wondrously made! Wondrous are Your works, and my being knows it well.” – Psalm 139:14
Writing these Scriptures out and putting them on my wall to see and say is only half the battle. Now, I need to believe it.
The road to being [and staying] healthy looks different for each individual but the desired results are the same. May you (and I) be encouraged to just keep going. Keep our eyes on the prize of living a healthy life for ourselves, our spouses, and our children.
I don’t know about you, but this is part of the legacy I want to leave my kids. I want them to look back and say, “Mama showed me how to be healthy and maintain it!” Remember, when getting healthy goes wrong, just start where you are and aim to make it right!
CHIME IN: What are some ways you get and stay healthy? Share some workout tips, recipes, and affirmations in the comments below!