We are a Usborne book, unit study homeschool style kind of family. Actually, we have a mixture of styles that combine together to make up the way we homeschool. It’s really hard to pick just one, so we combine several! That aside, I wanted to put together a roundup of Usborne Books that are perfect for the unit study homeschool style!
What is the unit study homeschool style?
First and foremost, it’s one of my favorites! Why? Partly because it makes it easier to teach multiple kiddos of varying ages and developmental abilities. Mostly because it makes learning fun and more holistic. When it comes to using unit studies to homeschool, we can take one topic and teach across all subjects.
For example, when my daughter was all about volcanoes, all the kiddos ended up enjoyed writing about them, reading about them, watching documentaries, building them, and so on! Without thinking twice about it, they did English, Language Arts, Geography, History, Science, Math, and Social Studies – all from studying volcanoes!
Of course some of the resources I use for unit studies comes from Usborne Books & More! I became a consultant back in 2015 for the 25% discount in efforts to build an ever-growing homeschool library, which is still being added to TODAY! Here’s an semi-exhausted list of Usborne Books I highly recommend for unit studies!
A Semi-Exhausted List of Usborne Books for the Unit Study Homeschool Style
Depending on how often I update this post, some of the books listed may or may not be in stock or print.
Books about Bugs
I’m including bugs, insects, and the like in this list. Creepy crawlies always seem to catch the attention of kids and make for some pretty awesome unit studies:
- Big Book of Big Bugs (the very first book we purchased!)
- 100 Bugs to Fold & Fly
- 1001 Bugs to Spot
- First Sticker Book Bugs
- Bugs Matching Game (we play this as a family!)
- Bugs Book & Puzzle
- Caterpillars & Butterflies
Books about Traveling the World
No passport required with these books!
- Around the World in 80 Days (perfect for a book club!)
- Around the World Mazes
- Children’s World Cookbook
- Here and There
- Illustrated Stories from China
- Look Inside Our World
- Geography Encyclopedia (with a complete world atlas!)
Books about Animals
Animals seems to be another fascinating topic for kids, and these books make it easier to lesson plan!
- Animals Box Set (less than $45 for 10 books!)
- Dangerous Animals
- Farm Animals
- Horses and Ponies
- 1000 Animals
- 1001 Animals to Spot
- Zoo Animals
- Baby Animals
- Big Book of Big Animals
- Drawing Animals
There are sooooo many more animals books… click here for the full animal search list!
Books about Seas/Oceans (and animals)
This is one of my favorite unit studies to do with my kids because we always learn something new. It also makes for great field trips!
- 1000 Things Under the Sea
- 1, 2, 3, By The Sea (family fave!)
- 1001 Things to Spot in the Sea
- 1001 Things to Spot in the Sea Sticker Book
- Big Book of Sea Creatures
- Look Inside Seas and Oceans
- Under the Sea
There is an over abundance of books, puzzles, and other activities for this genre too! I’m talking over 5 pages worth. Click here to see them ALL!
Books about History
Of course it depends on the type of history your kids are learning about, but Usborne has some pretty good selections to choose from:
- 100 Things to Know about History
- History of Science in 100 Pictures
- Encyclopedia of World History
- History of the World in 100 Pictures
- History Uncovered: The U.S.A.
- Timelines of World History
- Short History of the World
Books about the Human Body
From as young as toddlerhood, we start teaching kids about their body. Having good (and accurate) picture books that cater to ALL ages is a plus when doing this unit study.
- 100 Things to Know About the Human Body
- Big Book of the Body
- Complete Book of the Human Body
- First Encyclopedia of the Human Body (another one of the first books I ever purchased!)
- How Your Body Works (lift-the-flap)
- See Inside Your Body
- Your Body
- Questions and Answers About Your Body
- My Very First Body Book
- Human Body Puzzle & Book
Books about Seasons
Teaching about seasons is so much fun, especially when you add stickers, lift-the-flaps, popups, cut, and color books and activities! We have plenty of selections for this type of unit study:
- First Sticker Book Seasons
- Lift-the-Flap Seasons
- Pop-Up Seasons
- The Four Seasons
- Cut-and-Color Playbook Seasons
Books about Things That Go (Trucks, Trains, etc.)
Having four boys of my own, I’m fully convinced that they ALL go through (and sometimes stay in) a phase of loving anything that goes vroom, beep beep, and honk honk. If you find yourself putting together a “things that go” unit study, these books are a must-have:
- Big Books of Big Trucks
- Build Your Own Monster Trucks
- Build Your Trucks Sticker Book
- Busy Trucks on the Go
- Little Stickers Trucks and Tractors
- First Sticker Book Trucks
Books for Job Search
I didn’t know what else to call this type of unit study, but as your children get older, it’s nice to introduce them to different job opportunities. If they already have something in mind, it’s also a good idea to teach them a bit about it before making a concrete choice. Usborne recently released an entire selection of “academy” books that can help with just that:
- Architect Academy
- Astronaut Academy
- Chef Academy
- Coder Academy
- Doctor Academy
- Engineer Academy
- Entrepreneur Academy (I used this one to teach a CO-OP class!)
- Scientist Academy
- Vet Academy
More Unit Study Ideas
The best part about using unit studies in your homeschool is you can create one for just about any and EVERYTHING! Here are a few more unit study ideas (and yes, there are Usborne Books for these too!):
- Biographies (study the life of people)
- World religions
The possibilities are endless!!
Bundle & Save!!!
As a homeschooling mom of multiples I totally understand what it means to spend wisely. Although I love a good deal and freebie, I also see the value in investing in my children’s education. Hence, why I became an Usborne Consultant. If you’re interested in creating a homeschool library filled with amazing educational Usborne books, you have three options:
- Host a party! You’ll get free and discounted books.
- Shop and save! Shop with me and you’ll get a discount EVERY time!*
- Become a Consultant! Nope, you don’t have to “work” the business. Simply enjoy a 25% discount on all your orders.
*Because the shop and save deal is a personal special that I’m offering, you’ll need to email (or message) me your order. I’ll tally up how much you owe, get your books ordered and shipped to you directly! Offer is for bundle purchases of 5 or more books.